Canadian Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by karebear30, May 3, 2017.

1. karebear30

karebear30 New Egg

May 3, 2017
    I just moved into a neighborhood where there is like 4 or 5 lakes in it. And there quite a number of Canadian Geese! Everybody hates them but me! I can't hate them I love nature and they are beautiful!!! Right now we have one that has nested in our yard by the lake and will be hatching any day now. I'm so excited! My neighbor had a goose that nested right over the other side of the fence so it was like it was in our yard. Anyway hers hatched last week. They are so cute! Little fluff balls with legs! And the neighbor on the other side has two nest. One is right over our fence and the other way over on the other side of the house and they should be hatching any day now. She did have 3 nests but the herons ate all of 3rd nests eggs. Two to three times a year the white herons come in to mate and whatever and they are her eggs! Poor thing! Anyway I want to know if there is a way to make friends with the geese?
    Oh and I forgot to tell you! There is this one goose that travels through the pack and mates with the females and he isn't like any other goose I've ever seen!!! He is all white and 3 times there size! And when the females have his babies the are so kool! The bodies look fine but the heads are white with black and grey dots! Kool huh!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like you have a dumped domestic gander in your group of Canadas. Probably Embden since you say he is large.

No way to make friends with geese who have babies. They are very protective and will not be friendly. Most people hate Canada geese because of this trait.[and their poop] It's not that they are mean in the sense of just out to get you but they are very devoted to their mates and their goslings. So not matter the cost they will protect. Maybe you can encourage your neighbors who hate them to see them in a different light. I never thought I would want geese after a scary encounter with them when my children were young but I now have 2 domestic geese and love them to bits. Yes they are ornery when breeding season comes around and my gander would love to bite me. But I understand this nature and just stay out of his way and teach him it's not nice to bite the hand that feeds you. Geese [water fowl] and lakes and rivers and ponds were here along time before we all moved in..Goslings are so adorable enjoy them all from a distance anther thing you have to be careful of is if you get to close they will get pushy it's another one of their natures.

@karebear30

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  3. karebear30

karebear30 New Egg

May 3, 2017
    No actually if you look on the web it shows a large white goose that travels with the flock and breeds with them. I looked it up. Strange huh?

Anyway thank you for the info. And believe me my family and neighbors aren't goin to listen to me. I'm just the crazy animal lady! That loves all animals! I've gone as far as when we were selling our old house I was the last to move out. And I was working out back and my parents dropped the dogs off with me while they went out to eat. Well one of the dogs started goin crazy on the other side of the backyard. When I got ove there he was barking at the blueberry bush. When I lifted up the branch I found out why. A large black snake was hung up in the screen over the blueberry bush. I took the dogs in the house and went in the garage to see if I could find my dad's clippers to free him but couldn't so I went back out and got a rake to prop up the branch and called my dad and told him he had to come. He said he would be there after he ate. I said hurry up he'll be dead before you finish!!! I was crying and everything! I texted him every couple minutes til he got there and helped me free the snake. Then he got mad at me cause I was soaked cause it had started raining but I wouldn't leave the snake cause I was scared he was goin die! And my dad was like that snake isn't worth your life! Cause I'm sick and have had 23 brain surgeries and getting pneumonia wouldn't be good! But I love all living things! Can't help it! Can't watch them die if I can help it!

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am so sorry your sick. Take care of yourself. and enjoy those geese.

I do understand your love of animals all animals. I am the same way and have rescued many snakes from bird netting and from inside my duck/chickens houses instead of killing them I just carry them down the road. I appreciate that God made everyone of us for a purpose including snakes. [​IMG]

5. karebear30

karebear30 New Egg

May 3, 2017
    Thank you for understanding! Not many people would understand! But I can't stand letting Amy living thing die even snakes! Today it was so cool! I was down by the lake and I had to chase off one male goose cause he was getting hostile to my female and male that stay back there with the nest. And he even chased the female off her nest. So I had to chase him off so she could get back on her nest. Then I looked out on the lake and two huge snapping turtles were rolling around either fighting or mating one. It was wild to watch!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I know there isn't anything you can do about the snapping turtles being in the lake but they will eat baby water fowl. They will also severely injure adults too. Maybe it's just a way of nature keeping populations in check but I think it's sad. Life is hard and rough in the wild.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by