canadian geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by terwelpbantams, Jun 6, 2011.

1. terwelpbantams

terwelpbantams Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2010
    Payson
    I love the look of these and was wondering if you are allowed to raise them? I live in Illinois, does anyone know if i need a licenses or something?

2. Gracie9205

Gracie9205 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    Canadian geese are one of the federal migratory bird species, so you will have to buy them from a breeder who has a Federal Waterfowl Sale and Disposal Permit. They will be able to give you the paper you need to legally keep them once you buy them. THIS IS NOT ALWAYS THE ONLY PAPERWORK YOU NEED! Your state may require you to have another permit. Here in LA we have to buy a game bird breeders permit. You can call you wildlife and fisheries department over there and they will usually be happy to point you in the right direction.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  3. SouthernPride

SouthernPride Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    Here's a picture of our Goose. We hatched her from an egg, the parents are wild but not the migrating type as they are here all year round. Something got to the mother so we got the eggs and she is the only one that hatched. In this picture she is 6 weeks old. At about 2 weeks old we got her 2 companions, Chinese Browns. We will not try to keep it here, if she learns to fly and want to go off and find a mate, we will be sad but it's the only right thing to do for us.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  4. SouthernPride

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    Here is a picture of her at about 4 days old.

[​IMG]

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Aw, she's so cute, even now in the "in-between" phase with down and feathers.

I don't know if you're technically legal or not, but it seems to me that if the bird is just hanging out with your domestic geese and you don't do anything to "confine" her, I don't see how you are violating any laws.

As far as mating some day, I wonder if she would select one of the domestic geese as a mate?

6. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    I 'have' a wild flock...4 adults and 12 babies...they have been coming here every summer to raise their young. They eat dropped birdseed around my feeders and graze the neighborhood. I have a small ornamental pond they drink freshwater from. They nest on the island in front of our house.
    [​IMG]

7. SouthernPride

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    What Benjoycei have going on is what we were hoping for. Our couple kept coming back year after year but was never successful at hatching a family. They would even come to me for food when I called them. Then something killed her. I just didn't have the heart to destroy the eggs. Like I said, if she wants to fly away we will not stop her. As far as breeding with the Chinese, I have seen a picture of crossbreeds on another site and they were beautiful.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  8. violets812

violets812 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    7 years of Canada geese. You do need Migratory Birds to sell or give away the birds or eggs. Lots of people will feel the need to tell you they are illegal. (?) They used to be the hall monitors in school. LOL

9. violets812

violets812 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Hi! I've see cross bred Canada's also. Kind of reminds me of a white washed Canada goose!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by