Canadian goose question

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Calea, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Calea

Calea Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Hello,

I live on a lake and have wild geese and ducks. A pair of geese have made a nest in my neighbor's yard. She had two or three eggs and I just saw the neighbor go out and whip their eggs AT them into the lake and then viciously rip their nest up and throw it. :( Now she's still sitting there. Here is my question: if she lays another egg, which I know she will, do you think I could move the nest and the egg to my yard and she would use it? I don't know how else to keep my neighbor from killing them. Our yards are quite close together and I already have a mallard hen on a nest under a tree. Please advise on if this is possible. TIA

2. WhiteAfrican923

WhiteAfrican923 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    Report them to the authorities. I thought it was illegal to touch any form of wild life.

3. Calea

Calea Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Yes, I thought so too, but from things I've read online it says you can get rid of "aggressive" ones. These two aren't but who could prove it? Also, I was looking for a peaceful way to remedy it since our properties are so close.

4. Carrosaur

Carrosaur Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    That's illegal unless causing a nuisance. Report them immediately.

5. TimCline

TimCline Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2016
    Inez, ky
    Your local game warden will love that story lol

6. treegrl5

treegrl5 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2014
    That's not cool, even if they are nuisance birds. I'm not totally sure about whether or not a permit is required, but oiling the eggs is legal in situations where the birds are causing damage such as on a golf course. What your neighbors are doing is illegal.

7. treegrl5

Jun 4, 2014
    Canada geese are only aggressive when defending the nest, most birds are. The Canada geese at our lake are actually very friendly, so much so that I put a cracker in my mouth and let the goose take it straight from my mouth. My husband took a picture and it looks like I'm kissing a goose. I still have my lips, he was quite gentle

8. Calea

Calea Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    My neighbor is a jerk. These two were down by the water's edge. Even while he was grabbing and throwing their eggs AT them, all they did was hiss. Doesn't seem too aggressive to me. Hopefully they are nesting somewhere nearby. I still see them every day.

9. WhiteAfrican923

WhiteAfrican923 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    REPORT THEM!

10. treegrl5

Jun 4, 2014
    Sometimes the geese pick the worst places to nest, like last year in the rocks at the fishing jetty on our lake, easily accessible by the coyotes, raccoons and humans. Your neighbors sound like jerks the DFG isn't going to tell them who reported. If you get it on YouTube, a whole lot of people will call.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by