1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

canadian goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by thechickgal, Oct 15, 2016.

1. thechickgal

thechickgal Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2016
    Indiana
    Hi, I am a chicken raiser and last spring I rescued a little Canadian goose gosling. I put it with my flock of 3 month old chicks and it got attached to them and is now apart of the flock. She has seen geese fly over but she just honks back and goes back to foraging with the hens. She can fly she just never wants to leave the flock. They accepted her when she was young and she even tried to roost with them. Now that all the chickens are older the roosters have tried mating with it. Does this mean she is a girl. Or are the roosters just confused. She isn't as large as wild geese I see. She is really nice and eats from my hand. She has never bit me. She isn't like other geese I see in the wild. I have water available for her to get in but she doesn't get in it a lot . I call her Lillian but I can't tell if she is a male or a female.

2. thechickgal

Feb 23, 2016
    Indiana
    So does anyone know how to sex Canada geese

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Males are larger so if "she" is on the smaller size she is likely a she. About have to vent sex to be 100% sure. Also roosters don't care what they breed as long as it holds still. Hens, other roosters, shoes, rocks, buckets, etc..

4. thechickgal

Feb 23, 2016
    Indiana
    She is a lot smaller than most Canada geese I see

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by