Canadian Pride!?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Irondale11, May 16, 2010.

1. Irondale11

Irondale11 New Egg

May 16, 2009
    Hey, I'm Logan. I own two canadian goslings. What I'm wondering here is... does anyone else? I don't see to much posted on canadians. Also, mine are probably... about 2-4 weeks old. Do you know how to sex them? The people I get them from didn't seem very knowledgeable, but they sure had healthy poultry! Your feedback is appreciated, thanks.
    -------------Logan

Oh, and another thing, what does the gender difference make? As in, personality-wise, color-wise, size-wise etc. Thanks again.
    -------------Logan

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  2. 17roses

17roses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Greene County, TN
    Not that it really matters but it may be interesting to note that they are named after a man with the last name of Canada and not the Country. Their names remains Canada Geese regardless of the number. There are people on here that own them but many states require a permit or at least proof they didnt come from the wild. I wish I could help you on the sexing. I am just getting into geese myself. Would love to see pics. [​IMG]

After research spurred on by Goosedragon I have found that the naming info I gave is debatable and a Federal permit is required to own them. Please scroll down to Goosedragon's posting for more information. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  3. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    I didn't know they weren't named after Canada [​IMG] I know my exH used to go NUTS when I called them Canadian geese though.

Welcome to geese [​IMG] Goslings are very loving and addictive. Canada geese don't have sex differences in feathering, and unless you get them vent sexed by someone who knows how to do it, you will probably have to give them unisex names or guess until one of them does or does not lay eggs. My first pair of geese were supposedly male and female, but they were both males, so it wasn't until my current pair (correctly sexed) that I could see the differences in behavior between the sexes.

Females are a little smaller by about the second month, seem shyer, head down demurrely and less attention seeking. Males hold their heads up high to scan the environment, are friendlier and cuddlier, and by about three months have a screechier honk, where the females have low pitched "quacking" (sort of quacking).

Many of us just learn to live without knowing and enjoy them anyway [​IMG] Two ganders will be good buddies and two geese will be too. If you get one of each, well then perfect [​IMG]

Yes, pics please if you can [​IMG]

4. Irondale11

Irondale11 New Egg

May 16, 2009
    Yeah, I'll try to get you guys some pictures. From your descriptions sounds like I have a male(It's loud, gregarious, and has the head up straight posture you were talking about.) and a female.(Slouched, a little less outgoing, has a quieter peep, and is a little more uneasy in my hands.) Thanks, I don't have a permit, but I suppose that nobody will really care, but I'll try for one. Thanks guys.
    -------------------Logan

5. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Someone with a chip on their shoulder might care and make a "report". Getting a permit may be just a piece of paper and then they'll forget about you unless you get a huge gaggle of canadas. They are considered a total pest by a lot of people, so you'd THINK it would be no big deal to have a couple of your own without some agency making sure you aren't or are doing whatever with them. It's dumb but perhaps I just don't know the rationale (or agree with what I do know) for having a permit for a canada goose. I'd do some research on the subject if I were you and make an educated decision [​IMG]

They will know how to fly and fly well. If you want them to stay home, you'll need to clip their flight feathers.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I purchased a pair of wood ducks when I was a kid and then applied for a permit. End result, the ducks were confiscated by Fish and Wildlife since I purchased them without a permit. Check and make sure that the people you purchased them from are licensed or yours may also be confiscated. Good luck with this situation. I tried to do what I thought was the right thing and got shafted. One option is to allow your geese to free range and say that they just showed up one day and decided to stay.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  7. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:So where did you get the idea that they were named after a man not the country? (the name dates back to 1772). You need a FEDERAL permit to own them anywhere in the USA, Some States also require a State permit but this is mostly a matter of collecting fees for the States. There are also record keeping requirements for the federal permit. To dispose of any Canada Goose you must also have a dealer's permit. So you need one to keep them but 2 different permits to sell or give away eggs, goslings or live birds. State Wildlife people usually carry out the enforcement, appearance of a Fed officer usually means you are in big trouble! You really should not give advise if you don't know what you are talking about....

8. 17roses

17roses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Greene County, TN
    Quote:I was told that at more than one animal sanctuary in Oregon that they were named by John Canada hence the name. I did a little research on line and apparently it is a hotly debated subject which seems to have no clear answer. I believe (by the multiple websites I have visited) in scientific circles they are still called Canada Geese. Not that I really care, I guess I just wanted to join in the conversation and share something I (thought I) knew.

Thanks Goosedragon for calling me on it, even though I got my info from a reputable place, I should have checked the facts. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by