Cancer Craves?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Mamachic1967, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Mamachic1967

Mamachic1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2015
    I wanted to ask the forum if anyone else struggles with appetite issues? My first week after Chemo I lost 10 pounds in a week. Any food was very unappealing and anything I did eat gave me terrible stomach pain and heartburn. In the last couple of weeks I'm eating like I did always but craving food more especially sweets. Is it because everything tastes different? I hate gaining weight; an obsession of mine but losing it because of Cancer is not good because I need to keep up my strength. I want to talk to a dietician and requested it but haven't heard anything yet. I don't want to put on the weight because I'm eating especially when I'm not even hungry just think I am. How do you manage this?

2. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    Dang..... I'm so sorry you have to go through this..... To be honest i lost 60 lbs going through my transplant...... Only one thing worked for me..... I'll PM if you want.

3. LittleLakePhil

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    I totally understand..... :hugs
    I was so sick i was throwing up blood......

4. 1FlewOver

1FlewOver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2015
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    When I went through Chemo, I totally lost the taste of sweet. You talk about something funky..try unsweet honey. Everything tasted different. I had a hard time finding anything that I could eat.

I had a double whammy though, I had Cancer in the salivary glands and did 38 radiation sessions as well, so I had no saliva and a sore mouth.

I was always a thin guy, so, before starting treatment, I ate double meat double cheese cheeseburgers for breakfast. I got up to 180lbs. by the end of treatment I was 140.

I found a place that I could get cases of Boost for free....( because of the Cancer). Without Boost...I would have died I think.

Maybe you can do the same. At the height of the treatment, I describe as this: imagine trying to eat sawdust ...even knowing it could keep you alive, would you do it? Espescially without an appetite? Hopefully, you will have an easier time of it without getting your mouth fried.

Good luck and I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

5. LittleLakePhil

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    For me i thought everything tasted like clay..... I went from 165 to 112.
    The only thing that saved me was Marinol..... Ever other anti nausea medicine failed.....

6. 1FlewOver

1FlewOver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2015
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    I really didn't have too much trouble with the Chemo drugs. The radiation was the killer. I had 2nd degree "exit" burns on my neck and shoulders.

Because the treatment was so severe....I was on a huge cocktail of powerful drugs....starting with nearly the maximum Oxycotton patches ( 200 mgs.), some slow and long acting morphine, and the max dose of Tylenol #4 with codiene.

I spent 2 weeks with withdrawls when I quit them. Radiation was far worse than Chemo...as radiation has permanent consequeses while Chemo is temporary.

7. LittleLakePhil

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan

My treatment was different though.... I was given chemo only once. But it was 10 times the lethal dose..... They had to kill every new cell in my body. If the bone marrow transplant hadn't worked i would have died in less than 2 weeks. I was in the hospital for months in a sterile room.
    But i never had radiation.... Just 4 days of chemo pills that didn't effect me at all.... And 4 days of some chemo through IV that made me deathly ill. But that chemo would have killed me. I was on IV Morphine then.
    I take morphine now 5 times a day ... After 15 years i suppose I'd go through withdrawals if i ever stopped.

I'm glad you made it friend... I'm a 20 year survivor...

8. LittleLakePhil

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    I must correct you too..... Chemo did serious permanent damage to my body..but the amount of chemo they gave me was extreme.. They HAD to kill all new cells for the transplant to work.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  9. penny1960

penny1960 la la land awaits Premium Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Chemo has ruined and allowed other immune issues my cancer was in 1984 24 years old
    I still have issues today from chemo..
    they gave me a 20% chance of survival I am 56

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  10. LittleLakePhil

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    glad you made it this far Penny.... Yeah the whole mess caught back up with me too. They originally gave me about 2 years....that was in 1995....but even with the issues i have now I'm glad i went through it..... I got to watch my kids grow up. The anti rejection drugs destroyed my joints.... But I'm thankful every day to be here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by