Candeled for the First time!! Listen to what I saw!! DAY 8!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kryptoniteqhs, Dec 18, 2008.

1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Ok DAY 8---so this was my first time EVER candeling and every egg has an air sac...not one had a blood ring, but only 1 did I see actually moving around! Hopefully hes just extra excited!! It did a floaty thing...it floated up and then half way down and then back up and then....you get it....the others didnt do that....also is there any reason that most of my air sacs are shaped like hearts? no "v" at the bottom (that i noticed) but the top was -m- like that lol...thats the only way i know how to explain lol.....anyways, I hope thats not the only one thats alive....but like I said there were no blood rings on anybody.....ooohh....one of my eggs i sliiiiggghhhtly cracked...you cant even tell until you candle....and i wanna say that, that may be the one that was moving, but i may be wrong....either way his names floater lol

tell me what you think please!!

2. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    at the time that you are candling the embryos are like on a yo yo its cool when you see them. The cracked one watch as it could develope a bacteria ring. not always but could. The air sacs at this stage are early and the egg will be evaporating more liquid or the next week and a half so wouldnt worry about the shape you see. If shipped eggs sometimes the air sac can be a little misshapen but usually not a prob. You will not see all move as sometimes they are in the wrong part of the egg when you candle. If the egg is totally clear when you candle again then you need to remove. Also if egg seeps or has a odor remove immediately. Its neat to see them moving isnt it.

3. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    yes very neat i just watched a video on youtube where a person checked on the eggs under then hens and one what half way eaten open on day 18 and it lived after she helped it pretty neato...anywho i was originally on there to check on candeling lol and that popped up....also i had heard before that you can put clear nail polish or glue on the cracks.....can i still do that or is that only before they go in the bator??
    also heres the video....and i bet i know why that chick lived....2 bators in one lol....imagine that....that would be a dream!!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  4. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Totally cool!![​IMG]

Best of luck to you and the chickies!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Cindy

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Congrats!! I would drip a little bit of candlewax over the slight crack in the one egg. It will keep it from loosing too much moisture over the next couple of weeks. Good luck! [​IMG]

6. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Quote:Cool video. Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I've had cracked eggs hatch... both with wax and without. Just keep an eye on it. Wait a few more days, or a week, and candle again... THEN you get to see a lot more! [​IMG] Congrats!

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I seen mine bouncing around to! It's like Happy Feet in a shell [​IMG]

9. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Good luck with hatching those eggs. [​IMG]
    Thanks for sharing the cool video. When the baby started chirping Bob, my Jack Russell came running in from another room, jumped in my chair and started searching for that chick. He nearly knocked my laptop out of my lap!

10. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    your welcome guys...i thought it was neat...the music made me really sad tho, up until he was all dry and fuzzy!! thanks for all the advice!! ill let you know how it looks next time i candle....are there any more risks with putting wax on? like could you be worse off if you do? maybe ill just put it on if it looks worse next time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by