candelers?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenchick12, Aug 2, 2014.

1. chickenchick12

chickenchick12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2014
    Does anyone have any suggestions on cheap but working candelers. I would really like to look in my eggs. I don't know a thing about candeling so instructions would be useful. Any suggestions or tips are welcome. THANKS

2. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I just use one of those little cheap LED flashlights - Tractor Supply has them for about $1.99. Just go into a dark room & shine the light through the large end of the egg. Green or very dark eggs are a challenge but it works for most.

3. blue speckles

blue speckles Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    houston
    Hello perhaps someome could answer a question I have. I have a mallard duck who is laying an egg a day, I know my drakes have been affectionate with her so they could be fertile. She has made a nest and tends to the nest but she doesnt spend alot of time during the day sitting on the eggs. I should mention I live in Houston where the temperatures are in the 100 degree range and we have a high humidity. I tried candling the eggs but this is my first time trying to hatch ducklings and I am not definite about what I am seeing. So my question is does she have to sit on the eggs all day or could they survive with her only stting on them at night?

4. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    Ducks lay an egg a day until they have a full clutch and then they start to sit on them. Once she starts sitting the eggs will all start to develop at the same time. If she has already started sitting and just is off her nest during the day it may be because it is so hot she knows they are warm enough.

I would just let her do her thing and make sure she and the eggs are in a safe place if you have predator issues. I have a wire box I lock my broody in at night and then keep it open during the day.

5. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    I also use a cheap LED flashlight with 16 or so lights. I got it when I was incubating peafowl eggs and they are hard to see into. I am currently incubating some very dark Maran eggs and they are very hard to see into but it is excellent for brown to white chicken eggs and duck eggs. I just take them into a dark room and put the egg on top of the flashlight. I use my hand to make a sort of seal between the egg and top so that all the light goes into the egg. I have a cool photo of a duck egg I candled... I'll see if I can find it...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. blue speckles

Jul 13, 2014
    houston

7. blue speckles

Jul 13, 2014
    houston
    Thank you

8. chickster5003

chickster5003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2013
    I've found the best candler is the light on most smartphonea

9. chickenchick12

chickenchick12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2014
    Thanks everyone! I have another question. What are the easiest tractors to handle? I have been trying to get my grandparents to keep chickens but they are hard to persuade. I have an Auracuana that is brooding three baby-blue eggs. I also have a Silver Sebright that is brooding another three blue eggs. Would a normal flashlight or I-Phone light work on blue eggs? I plan on using the chicks as starter hens for my grandparents.

10. avocado

avocado Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2014
    UK
    I got mine from eBay, was a Titan incubators one. Think it was about £17.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by