candeling eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cowman910, Feb 7, 2009.

1. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    :hugshow long do i need to wait from the hatch until i start to see some things developing?......im getting impatient![​IMG] [​IMG]

2. mazdacrzy

mazdacrzy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2008
    Winder, Georgia
    With the brown eggs I have been hatching, I can't tell anything until about day 10.

3. cowman910

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    so for those ten days were do you keep the eggs

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    cowman, I don't understand. Have you got eggs in an incubator? Under a broody hen? How long have they been there?

5. cowman910

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    i took the eggs from her on the 7th and i have been turning it three times a day and candeling them twice a day i wasnt going to give the egg back to her until i start to see something develop should i give the egg back to her or continue what i am doing

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    If you haven't got the egg in an incubator, you need to give it back to her. It won't develop unless it's kept at the proper temperature. So you won't see any veining until it's been set for a few days, either in an incubator at around 100 degrees, or under the hen.

I've read that most people candle around 7 or 8 days, and veining is usually visible by then. I think I've read that veining is visible in a white egg around 5 days.

7. clayhillcouple

clayhillcouple Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    Middleburg Florida
    I thought that I read: You shouldn't be handling and candling(that rhymes) too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by