candeling eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nittanyxi, Jul 22, 2011.

1. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I just set eggs today.
    how long should you wait before you candel them for the first time to tell if something is growing inside?

If none of them start to grow I don't want to leave the incubator on for the full 21 days.

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    It depends upon what kind of eggs. Light colored/white eggs you can usually see something by day 7, sometimes as early as day 3. The darker the egg , the longer it takes to see through it. Blue or green eggs have color all through the shell and those I wait until lockdown and pray I can tell!

3. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

I candle at 7 days and any that look clear or I'm unsure I mark them with a question mark. Then again at 14 days. I usually wait till 14 days to toss any unless I smell one or its oozing.

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I usually candle for the first time at 7 days, too. By then, usually you'll be able to tell if they're developing. If there are ever any that I'm not sure if they're bad or not & as long as there's no odor, I leave them until the next time. Good luck [​IMG]

5. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I candle mine at day 4 to see if there are any spider like veins, if none then I mark them and wait another 4 days which brings us to day 8 and if still nothing, I will wait 2 more days before tossing.

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    The pics I have for comparison, to know if the air cell is increasing correctly, candle on days 7, 14 and 18 for chickens and days 7,14 and 25 for turkeys. That way I handle the eggs less--and therefore less likely to drop them! LOL I hope that I will recognize a bad egg, even if it's by smell, before it explodes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by