candeling???how old is my chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tashtash, Jan 8, 2013.

1. tashtash

tashtash Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    I candle this egg tonight. not sure when layed[​IMG] but put in my incubator on the 4th Jan. can anyone tell me as its my first time does this look ok. and how old is the chick inside. am i on the right track.

2. tashtash

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    I know its hard to see but i hoping someone will see something great for me.

3. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    very hard for me to see but I am guessing 8 to 9 days. do you see veins?

4. tashtash

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    Yeah they all bar a couple have veins in them some have a black spot like size of pin head some have mass of veins and big blob some have a deep dark circle with a little spot in side. ????????

5. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    If it was not incubated by a hen before you put it in the incubator then it's 4 days old because you put it into the incubator on the 4th January and today is the 8th! By now you should see a small heart pumping with veins around it if you have a light strong enough to shine through the shell!

6. tashtash

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    A couple of eggs I can't see anything but all I mentioned above have that description plus veins

7. tashtash

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    I only have a small key ring torch its not that strong.

8. tashtash

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    I got them of a man who has chickens and sells fertile eggs. I don't think his hens sat on them first.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  9. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    ok then that means that your egg/chick is 4 days old! And if you see nice red veins then it's a great sign! When you candle find the air bubble which is on the larger side of the egg! Usually that lights the egg up better so you can see more! Sounds like your off to a good start!

Good luck

10. tashtash

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    Thanks I hope so. One of my friends came over today. She looked at my hens outside and gave me a pat on the back. She who used to live on a farm and has had animals and chickens said my hens look great really healthy very lovable. I played and handled them as chicks. I got them at 4 weeks old there now 6 months old.There very friendly. She said for my first lot of chooks I'm doing a great job. I just hope my first lot of eggs in the incubator goes just as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by