Candeling pic's, hatch due 22nd October

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bowen Mt Chicken, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Bowen Mt Chicken

Bowen Mt Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    Okay, we have around 48 eggs in the incubator due to hatch 22nd October, there are bantam Araucana (rumpless), large rumpless Araucana's, Barnevelders, Welsummers, leghorns (brown), ancona's and some mixed lot with lavender Araucana/silver spangled hamburg, australorp/hamburg, and RIR/hamburg, we are doing an assignment for my son for school which involves candling of the eggs, I candled them yesterday (day 3) and saw some things but due to the earliness of the candling we are not discarding any until at least day 10-12 if nothing is seen, today I took some photo's, only pulled out 5 eggs to photograph, 3 were hard to see from the photo, but looked to have something in them, and the other two were clear as below. Will keep posting as we go along, anyone else hatching due around the same time? Join in. This is quite interesting, I don't usually candle until day 7-10.

Ancona (a lot easier as has a white shell)
    [​IMG]

Bantam Araucana
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I too candled mine already, only a few of them, I am seeing the same thing in mine [​IMG]

3. Bowen Mt Chicken

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    Cool, I think it's just amazing that in a short 21 day a little fluff ball hatches and is so good at walking, eating and drinking, unlike human babies that are completely dependant, and they take 9 months to grow, and they still need help for many year after they are born. I will keep updating with more photo's as we go along, their air cells have changed quite a bit as well, which is good. hope your hatch goes well too. [​IMG]

4. Bowen Mt Chicken

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    Okay day 5 candling, these were the best pictures we were able to get

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope they work out, there are a couple with mild cracks in them now from knocking each other when turning, both now have candle wax over cracks as from advice from others, hope they both survive, both currently have action in them, time will tell.

5. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

These are great pics......good luck with your hatch.....[​IMG]

6. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Great pictures which show the embryo clearly and the supporting blood vessels [​IMG]

7. Bowen Mt Chicken

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    Okay, up to day 6, here are some pics, the first one does have blood vessels, very hard to see, reason as to why not to discard eggs at this stage, but very promising at this moment.

[​IMG]

Pic 2 is a lot clearer, obviously dependant on where the chick is developing in the egg

[​IMG]

Will try to keep posting as we go along:jumpy:cd:cd

8. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    [​IMG]

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome pictures!! I have a broody setting on 3 eggs due 23rd Oct, or some where around then! [​IMG]

Thanks so much for posting these.

10. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    [​IMG] Nice pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by