Candeling problemdldeling... can't figure out why.We us

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Momma_Cluck, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    We have trouble candeling.. and can't figure out what we're doing wrong.
    We use a small high-intensity LED "pocket flashlight" in a dark room... and they all look the same to us!

Almost every egg we've candled looked "empty"-- and we can't even see thru the shells of the green ameracauna eggs!

What are we doing wrong???

2. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    Are you shinning the light down through the air cell? If not try that it makes a big difference! BTW what day are they on?

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    The green eggs are the HARDEST by far! Even harder than the darkest eggs I have candled (though I haven't had any of the super dark Marans eggs). Have you tried slowly turning the egg to make sure you are looking on every side? Sometimes you will miss seeing the baby if you don't. What day are you on?

4. Momma_Cluck

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    We were candling at about day 10-12.... haven't tried again, and are on day 16 now...

5. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    I have a 1 foot box that I cut a hole out of. I stick the box over one of my heat lamps and it works great. I candle my eggs at 7 to 8 days to make sure all are forming. I candle once more within the next 2 weeks to make sure everything is still going well. Maybe you may want to try a brighter light.

http://shilala.homestead.com/candling.html

Here is a site that may help you, I know it did me.

6. Momma_Cluck

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Thank You!! That is VERY helpful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by