Candeling question....

diamond8s

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 31, 2013
Massachusetts
I'm new to hatching. But I cannot find any picture anywhere that matches what I've seen. Ill try to explain. I candled at day 4 and it looked like 2 out of 8 eggs were fertile. Now on day 7 the two that were fertile look different. I see the eye inside but the veins and chick are on one side. Not top or bottom but one side of the egg. In other words look at an egg and draw a line down the center the LONG way. Both chicks are on one side and one side looks clear. Is this normal? They we in my brinsea mini advance being turned regularly so I thought everything was fine. Advice?

Yes, that's fine. My duck eggs were like that a a few weeks ago after their first several days of incubation and about a few days to a week later the embryo was spread out around the egg more. When I candled my eggs and saw this for the first time I thought it looked odd, but no worries :)

Oh thank god. I'm wondering if its normal to buy 8 eggs from a bender and only get two that were fertile. I'd hate to say what I paid for these. Ugg.

Are you hand turning? You may have to turn them more often evaluate the yolk with the baby in it my be getting stuck to one side... But it is normal for things to be only visible from one side in the very beginning since it's going to lean to one side depending on what side it had been sitting on before u started to candle it

Like I said I'm new to hatching but I thought if there were no veins and it was clear that by day 7 it was infertile? If I'm wrong please let me know. But you can clearly see the eye and veins in the two eggs.

I just sent her an email. I'm really disappointed. I already had lost a hatch due to humidity and temp levels being off in my genesis 1588. And to only get two chicks is a bummer. I've got more in the genesis but I'm not too hopeful after my loss. They made it all the way to hatch day and never pipped. Heartbreaking!
Getting back to my infertile eggs...I should have just ordered through the mail.

Back
Top Bottom