candeling?????????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Serama Mama 4, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Serama Mama 4

Serama Mama 4 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    does anyone know how 2 successfully candle?? have u done it with seramas?????????? HELP ME PLZ im new @ this and want chicks hatching on christmas day but dont want 2 incubate duds.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You can;t candle to know if they are any good or not until days 4-7, the longer you wait the better.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:If you have checked fertility and it is good (Cracking eggs in dish to look for fertily disc/bullseye). Set your eggs and check for embryos on day 7 or 10 by candling. Those are the only 2 ways to know if you have fertility/growth.

4. GiGi123

GiGi123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
  5. KooKoe

KooKoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    HI THERE!!!! I do it all the time! I have 2 methods.

Lazy method..... at night when it's dark, I take a flashlight (any one will do). I hold the flashlight in my hand, so that my index and thumb makes a small hole (must be half the size of the egg) over the light. then you put the egg up against the light and bingo! if you turn the egg so that the 'sharp' end of the egg faces upwards, then you can see the air pocket inside.

the second method.... I took an old tin can and made a hole in the bottom (half the size of an egg). you then put a lamp under the tin so the light only shines through the hole you made. hold the egg over the hole and you can see what's going on.

you can only candle after about 4 days. first you will see blood vessels and a small 'dark patch' in the middle of the egg. after about a week, you can actually see the embrio moving! more towards the end, the egg becomes solid and no light shines throuhg, but by the air pocket you can see the outline.

hope this was helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by