1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Candeling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KalikoFarms, Sep 14, 2011.

1. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    What and when is the best time to candle the choc brown marans eggs? Or just leave them alone and pray?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Thanks
    Rita

2. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    Good question. I would like to know too. I tried this morning (day 6)....all I can make out are darkish blobs...at least I can see something right? [​IMG]

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

first you need a really good strong light.. and then I would check at day 10... for lighter eggs you can see veins on day 7.. for marans I could never see much til day 10.. but either way you do need a nice bright light or you wont see much at all.. someone recommended a "blood tracker" light.. I tried one and couldnt see anything .. I prefer the OvaScope High Intensity for candling eggs.. but Im sure you could find a nice bright LED light that would work ok for ya

4. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    I used a small maglight but still super hard to see. I was concentrating so much I think my eyes were playing tricks on me. Maybe I will try to find a brighter light source.

5. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    I check mine on day 11 & day 18.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by