1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Candeling ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dr8goons, Jun 10, 2008.

1. dr8goons

dr8goons Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    VA
    I just put my first set of eggs in the bater last night and im new to this i know your suppose to candel them after diffrant stages, but how many days after putting them in do you do it? also what is the best thing to candel them with?

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    You can candle at 7days and you can really get a good look at the egg at 12 days.

3. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Generally speaking, you can candle at any time after 3 days, but most experienced poultry people have their own preferences as to when they like to candle.

Personally, I like to candle twice -- once on day #7 and once on day # 18. By day #7, you can pretty easily tell which are growing and which are infertile, so you can get rid of the infertiles. On day #18, you can usually tell the difference between the live eggs and those that have died along the way, and get rid of the dead ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by