1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

candelling day 16

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tony101775, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Tony101775

Tony101775 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    Hi again

I have had my blue 12 hyline eggs in for 16 days as of this evening. Due to lockdown Tuesday after work.
    I noticed a BIT OF A SMELL. Not really bad, but not as it should be i felt.

I tried to candle using a torch earlier in the incubation ie from 10 days , but was no very succsesful with these eggs. They are quite dark and seem thick shelled.
    I managed to get a good look at my Duck eggs and think i have 2 definites, 2 possiblities and 2 not so goods.

I went to see the man I grt my feed off this evening and asked him if I could borrow a proper mains candler from him.
    He agreed and Ihad my first proper look at all the eggs. I have a few realistic bids on e-bay to get myself a proper mains candler as I could see so much better.

My 6 Duck eggs have been in for 8 days and I can see definite veins and growtth on 4 of them. 2 are not looking so good but i am going to give it a couple more days and re candle then as i dont have to return it till next weekend. I will throw away the 2 or perhaps the 4 if there is no change. I do not want a smelly mess.

Of my 12 blue eggs that I had not really seen into before I had 3 that did not look good. There was a mass but it didnt look right.
    I cracked these and sure enough that was the smell. WOW!
    There was no development and the eggs just stunk.

Of the remaining 9 they all have VERY dark masses with the air pockets. The air pockets are not an even shape though.
    What I mean is not straight. They are wavy kind of, there are dips, does that make sense?

I have watched videos and am amazed that one can see the chick inside actually swimming about.

I dont see that on my duck eggs and i cant see it on my chick eggs as they just seem really crammed.

Friday is my hatching day if all goes well and my ducks should be a fortnight after that.

Is everything going to plan i wonder?

Tony

2. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    By day 16 you should see a well defined air pocket and vein development and a dark mass taking up a large part of the egg. Depending on the color of the egg, on some of my marans eggs I can only see an air pocket because the eggs are dark. But if you smell something u have a possible exploding egg. start cracking some that don't look like pictures and diagrams you've seen first. and sometimes you can smell each egg and find the offending egg. If it has a odor at all it's gonna be rotten. When your learning always carefully crack each egg you suspect are bad to see how you are doing on your candling..

3. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    Were your eggs shipped eggs?

4. Tony101775

Tony101775 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    Yes they were shipped eggs.

Tony

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by