Candle blood ring

Pitchfork

Songster
15 Years
Apr 11, 2008
Oklahoma
I am new to this and have just candled for the first time. 8 eggs on day 10 and I might as well be looking at a test pattern on the T.V. I see some shadows, I think, in most of the eggs. But one shows what the pictures refer to as a blood ring. It is a definite black ring around the center of the egg. Should I throw it out, will it go nuclear on me if I leave it in there?
Buff Orp eggs not too dark from my own young hens and rooster. Using a Streamlight XP and a paper cup with masking tape to focus the beam. I never did see anything that looked like veining in any of the eggs. Most appeared to have a black area and I could see the air pocket at the large end of the eggs. Not much else. Whatdaya think?

I'd suggest leaving them for another 4 or 5 days, and see if they change. You've probably got the blood ring pegged right, but I doubt it would blow up in a few more days. Might be worth while to invest in a better candling light. Some of them aren't too expensive. Good luck.

Jim

one of ym swan eggs had a blood ring & i almost tossed it..good thing i didnt becuase it developed & hatched just fine

Thanks much for the replies, I will leave everything as is for a few more days. Dirt Road, I have read a little on the forum about Candling lights, did you mean one specific to the task or just a better set up. I don't know if you are familiar with Streamlights but I worked, until a few years ago, a night shift as a "Line Maintenance Technician" for a major airline. That is, I worked on the flight line, working on and inspecting the aircraft as they transited through the hub on their schedules. I was the guy that the pilot tells you is "working on the problem" Ha! Anyway I have tried every flashlight out there I think and those that I didn't try my fellow workers tried and by the time I left nearly everyone was using Streamlights because they were easily twice as bright, as for instance, a three cell Mag.
So I know I have the brightness, but perhaps I don't have the focus down correctly. This is why I ask. What I have is a plastic drink cup wrapped with painters tape so that no light excapes with a hole cut in the bottom and the painters taped extending over the bottom to form a cone upon which I can place the egg. Does that make sense? Would I be better off to use a different set up? I have read others say they just shine a light through the egg while it is in their hand, so I don't know.
Lot to learn so thanks again for the help.

I find it's easier for me if I candle with the big end, where the air cell is, to the light.

Good luck!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom