Candle-day 10- this is a chick right?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JulieNKC, Jun 2, 2011.

1. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    This is my first time hatching eggs. I set them the 23rd. This is what I am supposed to see in the eggs right? Also, I have 3 eggs in my incubator, and 8 under my broody. I think I have a BO who is going broody. Can I split the eggs so they each have some or does she need to set 21 days? I just got a roo yesterday, how long will it take me to get fertile eggs for her from my hens? Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Quote:Yes. It will take 1-2 week to get good fertile eggs.

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Great photo. Yes, that's what you're supposed to see! Veins and a tiny embryo. Congratulations!

If your roo is totally new to the flock it might take longer than a week or two to get fertile eggs. That figure is accurate if the roo is a big handsome stud who manages to win over your hens straight away but if he's young and inexperienced and your ladies are bossy they might not let him anywhere near them for a few weeks!

4. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:Apparently my hens are rather easy. He's already been caught doing the deed. They also squat for me, my fiance, my one year old daughter, etc. [​IMG] My little non broody silkie is quite infatuated with him. She follows him all around, is never more than a few feet from him it seems. They make quite the weird couple, as he is a big funky combed barred rock mutt roo, and she is a slightly still green tinged from st pattys day petite silkie. [​IMG] Guess I'll try to break my BO if she ends up broody. If she's that determined she can go broody again in a few weeks and hatch out some eggs from the odd couple.

5. gogoalie

gogoalie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    Nope...that's not a chick...looks like one of them Aliens from them Sigourney Weaver's films...I'd run away if I were you...[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    That's a perfect embryo. [​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree... I usually wait at least 3 weeks to guarantee good fertilization and a good hatch when I put a new roo in with the girls. You can always break an eggs open in a dish and check it to see if it is fertile.

8. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    just hold hold it like that when you candle, you should candle with pointy end down [​IMG]
    it looks good

9. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:Oh no, If it's an alien I'm selling it on E Bay and buying me a 300 acre chicken farm, lol.

10. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:[​IMG] Trampy hens, LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by