Candle goose egg, was fine yesterday, today its watery?

Kenni9508

Hatching
Apr 27, 2021
Hello all,

We've been attempting a hatch of a goose egg that was found at our lake and its suddenly gone weird.
Up until yesterday it seemed to be progressing, a dark "something" was in there, it was getting bigger, you could kind of see what looked like feathers and veins. It should be on approx day 23 now.
I went in to do the cool period and turn it and as I turned it I noticed what looked like a second air bubble. Then I realise th egg looks like it's full of water with some black stuff floating in it.
It was in at about 25c. Until we realise the incubator wasn't working properly (borrowed from a chicken breeder) and so I got some hygrometers and upped it to 37 and approx 70%humidity. (it was basically dry before)
Here's a video... Bin it? Or keep it. The chicken breeder says leave it 3 days and don't turn it any more. I'm worried it will explode...
Thanks!!

Uh
It looks like the egg quit :(
At day 23 the egg should be mostly filled by a dark mass.
Which it was until yesterday.. It turned slowly when I turned the egg, but it was more like a shift not a slop. And it was dark with a good looking air bubble.
Any idea what can cause this? Humidity and temp change? We adjusted about a week ago. But it's been looking good since. We've been turning more as we realise we weren't doing it enough... Oh man. The boyfriend is gonna be really sad. He had visions of peep the goose riding Baxter our bloodhound mix.

Uh

Which it was until yesterday.. It turned slowly when I turned the egg, but it was more like a shift not a slop. And it was dark with a good looking air bubble.
Any idea what can cause this? Humidity and temp change? We adjusted about a week ago. But it's been looking good since. We've been turning more as we realise we weren't doing it enough... Oh man. The boyfriend is gonna be really sad. He had visions of peep the goose riding Baxter our bloodhound mix.
No idea what caused it to quit. I'll tag some hatch experts, maybe they will have an idea.
@MGG @Pyxis

Uh

That's a detached air pocket. I've just had 2 pheasant eggs like that. One quit, one hatched. I set them nearly upright in 1/2 an egg carton and only turned them 1/4 turn at a time. If it doesn't have a blood ring I'd keep it in the incubator a few more days.

Back
Top Bottom