Candle light test?

lincolnsilkies

Songster
8 Years
Aug 27, 2011
Lincoln Nebraska
First how do you do the candle light test what r u looking for when you do this? please and thank you
second if i treated my birds for worms about 9 days ago will the eggs be fertile or should i just toss them instead of putting them in the incubator?
Thank you!!!

There are several threads on here that can give you more info then I ever could but...We use a large cup like the one you would get a fountain drink from at a circle k or similar make it black (paint, marker, tape, etc.) and cut a hole in the bottom to rest the egg on. In a dark room with a bright light under the cup you should be able to see things. Depending on the stage of the egg you might see veins, dark spots to a mostly dark egg with movement inside. Don't know if the worming would effect fertility, sorry.

I use a bright flashlight(actually a tactical light off my 12 gauge).

I candle at 10 days and thats it. From what i think is right.

Not fertile

2011-09-01_21-07-05_125.jpg

bacterial infection - no good

2011-09-01_21-06-38_576.jpg

good

2011-09-01_21-11-51_74.jpg

this is bad i think. it sloshes and the stuff inside isnt as firm as it should be.

2011-09-01_21-05-44_286.jpg

Nice picture but I would still keep an eye out for the last one. I don't think giving them worm is going to affect the fertality. But you could check yourself by simply cracking one of the eggs and if you see a white ring, they are fertiled if you just see a white dot, not fertiled..

Sounds like he died in the egg if he is smelling. YEK but you can see veins and the body, I would have guess it looks good too, that's why I said keep an eye on that one...

Quote:
then why does it look like that at day 21 and smell off?
smile.png

Because you only now mentioned that.
wink.png
At day 10, that egg would be alive. But since you did verify at day 21 that it didn't hatch and smells off, yes, it died somewhere in the process.

the eggs when the picture was taken was very sloshey when i candled it. SO much so i knew it was was. I had a couple like that that i knew(67% knew) where bad. I marked them with a X to verify and sure enough. but have no fear still plenty of possibles. This batch should had today. several pips and a whole lot of chirping.

2011-09-08_02-34-08_882.jpg

I just candled these guys tonight. Not fertile. my EE egg supplier might want to check his roosters lol. and everyone of his welsummer eggs where duds. Also had a batch of turkens from soggy bottom farm. they had a great fertility rate(bought them here)

2011-09-08_02-33-58_706.jpg

enough rambling as ive strayed enough off topic.

Back
Top Bottom