candle my eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happi752, Sep 12, 2009.

1. happi752

happi752 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    Hi everyone,
    I am new here and am searching for some informational help please. I have 26 hens and I recently bred 3 of them. They were all buff orpingtons. I stored the eggs in a cooler at 55 degrees faren. constant temperature. I put all the eggs in the incubator on last tuesday. It is now saturday (4 days ago). These are all brown eggs. I candled them today. What I see in 12 of the eggs is a large dark area that floats as I rotate the egg on its side. They are all laying on their side in the incubator. I am not for sure what this is that I am seeing in these eggs. At first I assumed it was the baby chick forming, but I do not see any veins in any of the eggs yet. Then I assumed this must be the yolk that I am seeing floating around in the egg. But now after reading some other posts here, I am assuming it is the air sac floating around. Does anyone know what this is that I see floating in the eggs? The rest of the eggs appear clear as I do not see anything yet. This is my first time to breed my hens and set eggs.

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Wait a bit longer and candle again in a week. You should be able to tell by then!

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Here's a great page that should help you know what you were looking at. [​IMG]

4. happi752

happi752 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    ugghhhh!!! does anyone else feel that 21 days is going to be unbearable in waiting. lol.

5. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Perfectly normal. 21 days is FOREVER.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by