Candle Q

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Yogalady, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Yogalady

Yogalady Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Burbs of Philly
    I candled today - we are at the "less than" home stretch meaning, they should hatch today or tomorrow (at the LATEST)

Well, most eggs had what looked like a small black blob in them and not viable. however, a couple were so "dark" that we could not candle them at all.
    What does that mean? I can understand the ones that we could see the death essentially, but not sure about the total darkness that we saw.

It is very sad. Second hatch, gone awry. This time not with the dome but the little giant. We honestly did everything right. Bought our eggs on ebay.

2. Scraps

Scraps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    They are dark because its full of chick! You won't see it move because its a pretty tight fit inside there.

Did you still have the air cell on the big end or was the whole *e g g* dark?

3. Yogalady

Mar 1, 2009
    Burbs of Philly
    I have to tell you, I didn't notice.... would the air cell go up or down? OMG I may have placed it down wrong. I am an idiot.
    It was heavier for sure but I had no idea if it was "dead" or if it was a bobwhite waiting to be born. If even ONE hatch out of 42 I will be thrilled and call him "Noah" for making it through the storm (bad rain storm with no electricity for hours - we did have a generator LOL)

4. Scraps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    The air cell is at the larger end. Make sure to keep the bator closed...whats your humidity at?

5. Yogalady

Mar 1, 2009
    Burbs of Philly
    it is at about 70

6. Yogalady

Mar 1, 2009
    Burbs of Philly
    *also, I realize the air sac is at the larger end but not sure if I rotated it..I don't think I did....

7. Scraps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    Just leave it as it is and good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by