Candle questions about airsac

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by calicokat, May 11, 2010.

1. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Ok, day 11 here and I'm trying again to candle my eggs. (day 7 & 10 were first two tries) Just not sure what I'm seeing.

Should the airsac move, or be secured to the inside of the shell? Or is this a dorky question, LOL. One egg seemed clear with nothing in there and the airsac just floated around like an air bubble. We called it a dud egg, cracked it and it had never even started to develop.

But on some of the others, there seemed to be some movement of the sac, just not all free floating around - ish.

I'm only candling to see if there are duds, then they could be pulled out from under the hen to be sure there's room for the others to keep developing. She's a banty sitting on 7 (as of tonight's dud) polish eggs. So they are smaller than large fowl, but larger than banty eggs.

2. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    not sure about the moving ?airsac? thing, but your clear eggs were not fertile, dark eggs (half dark half clear) are bad eggs, not stored proper or just duds. there are great candling examples on you tube. just search there for egg candling.

3. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    We're on dialup, so youtube isn't an option [​IMG]

Do they have "Chicken Midwives" who will come show me how to candle and what I'm seeing?? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by