Candle?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bloom chicks, Dec 19, 2011.

1. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    I have a hen that is laying on 12 eggs. Today is day 11. I haven't candled. Do I need to candle? I am new to this. Any advice or info would be great. Thank you so much!

2. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    You don't have to candle but of you want to a bright flashlight will do just fine in a darkened room. Usually when they sit on eggs I don't candle I like to keep them with the broody hen as much as possible.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I usually candle once at day 14. In the coop at night.

4. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Thank you. So does that mean I don't have to candle. I don't want to bother her anymore then I have too. [​IMG]

5. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Nope, some people don't candle period (like myself). Some people don't even candle the eggs in an
    incubator. Wishing you luck!

6. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Thank you so much! [​IMG]

7. duckdad

duckdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    There is an arguement FOR candling if you are working with ducks...

Because ducks are more messy (nasty, to be accurate) they can have a large percentage of bad eggs that are infected with bacteria that can spread to the other eggs if not caught in time.
    As soon as a bad egg is discovered, remove it. They're easy to spot...dark botchy stuff floating around inside...a red ring, lack of viens.
    If your duck has an outside nest then its most likely that there will be some bad eggs due to the fact that a duck will crap in the nest and the eggs wear it.

If ducks did'nt come with scotchgaurd on their feathers, I'd never pick one up...[​IMG]

8. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    I have chickens. I am letting my broody hen hatch out eggs...... Thank you for the advise. [​IMG]

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have had hatches that I have candled and some I haven't. The ones I candled I took out any eggs that weren't developing but I don't do my first candle until day 10 to day 12 or later when I do candle.

10. Chica Lady

Chica Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    Seems like the general rule is candle if and when you feel like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by