Candled and cracked Peafowl egg :( :(

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by moulie18, Aug 9, 2011.

1. moulie18

moulie18 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    In August 04, I added 4 more peafowl eggs in my homemade incubator...

Right now I candled all of them and there was no sign of Anything...They looked unfertilized...
    Then I decided to crack one of the eggs and DID!!
    There was an embryo as big as a chickpea.... Died immediately i think....
    I have done the most stupid thing so far in my life...

Can someone reassure me...please.... I am going to do something silly to myself now [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ghhhrhrrhrh.................,fdfmsd\\kln/lnf/lSflsjf\\lskf\\skvj\\'sd

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    [​IMG] There will be other eggs, can't change what's been done... hang in there for the others!

Just remember that peafowl eggs take longer to incubate than chicken eggs, and their shells are much thicker. You will not see much for a while.

3. manybirds

manybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    I remember my first attemt at incubating i was little and i cracked a egg open just a few days before hatching. it was a fully formed little duckling. I did it again a year or two after that and it was due to hatch the next day it lived for like 12 hours then died. now i am pretty good at candling so it dosn't happen often. just this year we had a duck sitting on more eggs than she could handle so i chucked a few of them. but after raising animals so many years i have started to get a little bit toughened to the thought. I knew it had to be done or all the eggs would probably get cold in turn and die. there where little tiny bald big headed ducklings. But like i said it had to be done. we all make the same mistake at least once or twice. don't feel bad. its all a learning experiance. with animals its hit and miss. [​IMG]

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG] Don't feel bad i done it before too [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  5. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    This year I did that too, I had one egg that was not looking fertile and the other one I could see the veins in so I took the one I thought was bad outside and cracked it open and found a small little chick inside! I felt horrible! [​IMG]

I wasn't sure if I killed it or if it had died already and that is why I didn't see veins but it made me feel bad. Now I leave the eggs in for a long time before throwing them out. I smell each egg to make sure it isn't bad when I hand turn them.

6. Debbiesflocks

Debbiesflocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Washington
    Don't beat your self up over it. I think most of us who incubate have made the same mistake. I don't candle peafowl eggs till they are 14 days in. By 14 days you should be able to tell what eggs are doing what.

7. xlboergoats

xlboergoats Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    Arp, Texas
    Don't feel bad about it. I never even candle eggs until they have been incubating for about two weeks. My eyes are bad and I can't see veins if they are there. I have found that by the time they have been incubating for two weeks, I can tell if they are developing or not. I usually candle them again at three weeks and then when I move them to the hatcher. If there is any question, I move them to the hatcher. I had rather have an egg in the hatcher that did not hatch than throw anything that might hatch.

Yesterday, I forgot to move a set of eggs to the hatcher that should hatch on Thursday. Tonight I heard whistling when I was checking some chicken eggs in the hatcher. I was a day late moving peafowl eggs, and they are going to be a couple of days early hatching.

Ernie Haire
    Arp, Texas

8. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    dont worry if that one had a peachick then you will get more babies.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by