Candled and egg has crack in it. Embryo developing still, What to do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sweeterdeeter42, May 11, 2011.

1. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    At day 8 when I candled I noticed that one of my eggs has a few tiny cracks in it that had to have been there when I put it in the incubator. The embryo is developing well and it has good veining. What should I do?

2. gfcm

gfcm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    Most use unscented candle wax to seal the cracks. Just don't use any more than you have to, and try not to cover the big end of the egg. I used nail polish on two eggs because that's all I had. I had read about that, too.

3. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:Did they hatch after you used the nail polish? The cracks are very small and on the side. They kind of go out like a spider web.
    Would I melt the wax and drip it on, or rub it on?

4. chickenpickens

chickenpickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Fort Stockton, TX
    My 7 yo was "helping" unpack an order of eggs and cracked one on the counter. It was a fairly large crack. We took a tea candle, lit it and dribbled the wax directly on it. It was one of the firt ones to hatch.

That would be "first" not firt

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  5. gfcm

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    I've read to drip it on. I haven't hatched yet. I go into lock down tomorrow! But I've been candling my cracked eggs everyday, and they are doing great! Love to see them move!

6. gfcm

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    You're still early on, too. They say if they go bad you will definitely smell them. Pretty soon you'll see them moving!

7. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I would suggest the wax, or duct tape.. I have read that they hatch the same as regular eggs...

8. CO-OP_COOP

CO-OP_COOP Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Florida
    Quote:LMAO.. duct tape? you definitely have to add that to the million uses for duct tape.. awesome!

9. gfcm

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    lol I actually just read that the other day. I laughed out loud on that one.

10. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Quote:LMAO.. duct tape? you definitely have to add that to the million uses for duct tape.. awesome!

Duct tape has limitless uses... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by