Candled and its not good-

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mom 2em All, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    My eggs are on Day 6 and I candled today. I first replaced the eggs under my broody silkie with infertile ones because she chooses to brood out in the cold, and not in the coop. I put her in a dog crate, and tried to relocate her in the house- but she refused to settle down.

I put the dog crate in her chosen broody spot, and secured the area with more straw, and arranged the board she was behind to hold a roof. She was clearly distressed, and couldn't find, "her spot"- but looked for it for over a two hour span. Knowing 'her' eggs were safe in the incubator, and the ones waiting for her to decide upon were infertile- I let it ride. i figured if it broke her broodiness, it would be okay.

Of the four she had, only one shows veining. The others are clear, with loose air cells. The one that shows veining has two large cracks in it- I applied wax, but I am not holding any hope for that egg.

Of the five eggs under my Turken , only one has any veining started. The others are clear with loose air cells. I would have removed the four except she reached over and gently rolled the eggs back under her as I was setting them aside. I will take them from her in a couple days.

I have four in the incubator now- including the cracked one. If I get any that make it to hatch day, i will stick them under the broodies before they hatch.

Because we are so early in the game, and it looks so bleak- I just may have to order more eggs- after this big cold spell is over.

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, darn it! That's not good news at all. At least you've got a couple of eggs that are developing! [​IMG]

I think you should definitely order yourself some eggs!!! [​IMG]

3. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I wish I could have some teleported. I wanted to bid on Turken eggs on ebay soooooooooo badly!!
    I am really bummed that the auction ended.
    However, it is going to be so cold here all week that I cant risk having them shipped right now.
    [​IMG]

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Why are you candling so early? Especially under a broody? Day 10 is really the soonest I would rule out growth and even then I might not discard unless it was totally clear.
    Don't give up yet!
    Christina

5. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    I understand how you feel I just got rid of a bunch that are out of the batch that have started hatching today..They were clear but I usually give to at least 10 days..had Chicken and Turkey eggs had to throw.. but I am happy with what I got..

6. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Rufflemyfeathers..had Chicken and Turkey eggs had to throw.. but I am happy with what I got..[/b :

Makes me crazy to toss them, you too?? You want them ALL to live, but well, they don't [​IMG]
    Christina

7. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:Why don't you just drive down my way.... I have 2 day old Turkens in my livingroom! [​IMG]

8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

My Turken girl could never go broody, even if I wanted her to. She cares too much for the next meal to worry about another living creature in her care. But so much character, they have.

Good luck! You'll get 'em!

9. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Quote:Why are you candling so early? Especially under a broody? Day 10 is really the soonest I would rule out growth and even then I might not discard unless it was totally clear.
    Don't give up yet!
    Christina

Normally, I hold out and don't candle until late in the game- but with it so cold out, i thought I would just take a peek- and it is funny how different they look early on, even that soon. The ones that were clear were really clear- and the air cells were loose, which never ends good.

Chic-n-farmer,
    Dont tempt me! I will have some, I think I just have spring fever early- very early this year! I have about ten inches of snow out there, and I really want it to go away so I can start Spring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by