Candled and now I think we have 12 good white leghorn eggs and 1 bad

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bobbieschicks, Jul 1, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I'm glad I got the advice not to toss them out too soon - it's Day 8 evening and we moved to the "good" side 2 of the eggs we thought were not good b/c we couldn't see any veins in them on Day 6. Tonight there are clearly veins in 12 out of 13 eggs - Yeah! Of course I know that doesn't guarantee they'll all hatch and live - but the kids are more excited as it seems we are increasing in "good" eggs by the day. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  2. farmgirlforever18

farmgirlforever18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    [​IMG]

3. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    make sure temps are all good and not fluctuating too much. leghorn eggs are easy to see through. glad to hear you have progress! best of luck to you and your new arrivals. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Today is Day 11 in the Hovabator. I candled again last night on Day 10 & I saw 8 definite live chicks at various stages of growth and 4 possibles (I could see veins, but nothing much more) and 1 definitely not (hasn't any veins, just dark yolk area - I'll keep him until he stinks). So glad I didn't toss those slow growers out when I couldn't see anything early on. It occurs to me that maybe the eggs were laid at different times and maybe that's why I'm seeing different stages of growth?

Well, I'm trying my best to keep temps and humidity stable for now and praying for 12 chicks in the end. [​IMG]

Happy 4th of July! Can't wait for July 14th!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by