1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Candled and saw a "blood ring" in eggs that have never been incubated?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cowgirl71, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I candled some Guinea eggs prior to setting them in the bator, and a few have a "blood ring." NOT the traditional blood ring around the outer most part of the egg, but a small ring of blood on the yolk, about 1/4" around. I've never seen this before... Anyone know what it could be?

2. clothdiaperingmom

clothdiaperingmom Songster

Feb 7, 2010
    Sweetwater, TX
    I sure dont know. Just bumping so someone who might know might see your question. Good luck!

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

could it be hot enough to start incubation just being outside?

4. geosheets

geosheets Songster

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    I've had some chicken eggs with a spot of blood in them when I cracked them open. I think occasionally an egg can form with a spot of blood inside it. If it were me I would mark them and incubate as usual to see if they develop.

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:Thank you! I don't think that is it though (though that was my first guess too)... I got these eggs from my neighbor, and he collects them daily and then stores them at room temperature (around 75F). These eggs were 0-14 days old. Out of eighteen, about four had a "blood ring."

I have some eggs that I collect from my complete free-range Guineas (they even roost in trees at night!). Needless to say, the eggs from these birds are anything but fresh when I find them, and I've never seen a "blood ring" on these... Even after spending a month outside when the highs for the day are 90-105F. They still hatch quite well (about 75%), but they're always 2-3 days early. [​IMG]

I also don't remember seeing this kind of "blood ring" before during candling on a partially incubated egg. I did look through the candling sticky and didn't see anything at all like this...

But anyway, I did set them with the rest, as I figured they'll have a better chance of hatching in the bator than if I left them out, LOL.

6. geosheets

geosheets Songster

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
  7. burquechick

burquechick Songster

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I think yours was probably just a piece of ruptured oviduct tissue from the hen. This happens sometimes. I had one recently, but in my case, I think it was an embryo that had started before I could put it in the incubator, as it went up to 95 in my house just before incubation (cooler died).

8. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I had a hatch from a blood ring egg- my chick is still alive- of the 21 eggs, (13 shipped to me) 15 that hatched 4 died for no known reason at 5 weeks (the largest 4- 3 confirmed roos) the one that hatched from that egg is still alive unless I mixed up my buffs EEs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by