Candled and saw nothing?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheDuckCrew, Apr 17, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    I could see a yolk in all of them, some were larger than others, but i saw no veining. today is day 7. i'm not going to scratch them because i'm not sure if they are alive or not. maybe i couldn't find it because i didn't know exactly what to look for. also, the light i used might not have been strong enough. the temp and humidity have been rather wierd. temp has been holding steady lately, but the humidity is all over the place. never too high, always too low, sometimes just right, but then it falls again. do the eggs still have a chance? i was excited to candle to see if they were growing, but i was also worried because i was afraid i would run into something like this.

2. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    I had trouble seeing the veining at first, but my eggs were dark.
    Good luck!

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    what species and breed of eggs are you candling?

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Yeah, I had a hard time seeing veining on some of my eggs today too... but they had darkened. All but 2 which light passed through easily and were considered clear because the did not develop. Sometime you can't see the veining but it will slowly get darker in there. Give them a few more days and candle again. If you can still see right through them the temp may not have been warm enough, or the humidity to low to even start development.

Were these your eggs?!

5. lukewride

lukewride Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    England
    I was told that after 8-10 days i should be able to see viens and whatnot but all i saw were dark blobs..

the ones with blobs hatched so i'm blaming my torch!
    But yeah, i'd leave them until day 14 before candleing them again... if they're clear bin them. ive heard so many stories of eggs that were presumed failed miraculously hatching so i leave all of mine in until day 25-odd

6. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    these are my pekin ducks eggs, so they are white, not dark. i only got to candle a few, but they all had dark blobs.

7. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  8. KnightslilAngel

KnightslilAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Milford/Norwalk, CT
  9. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    My incubator is in the post so I am reading everything I can about hatching - thanks for the info and the links, very helpful. [​IMG]

10. KnightslilAngel

KnightslilAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Milford/Norwalk, CT
    Quote:Welcomes it helped me too. Some idiots in my town took a Wild duck egg i was so upset i took it from them and put it in my own incubator. that site helped me determine how old it was. It was about 9 Days old :3
    But unfortunately When i was moving the Bautor my mom accidentally knocked it on the ground. The baby was fine but the egg went rotten... i've had such bad luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by