1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Candled and well.......

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by batchhatchin, Nov 3, 2014.

1. batchhatchin

batchhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2014
    North central Texas
    Me and the girls(5 yr olds) candled our eggs and out of 30 we had 4 that were duds. Every other egg looked to being great. I think that's quite good odds. That incuview stay right on the money with very very little attention. Just wish I had a 200 egger that was that exact!!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Congratulations on the successful incubation so far! Sounds like everything is going great, hope you have a great hatch!

3. Lalegid

Lalegid Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    Excellent! When are your ones due to hatch?

4. batchhatchin

Oct 28, 2014
    North central Texas
    I've got some due on the 15th and a couple every day after that for a week or so. I've got a second incubator to set them in for lockdown.

5. Lalegid

Lalegid Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    I'm using a 2nd incubator for lock down too, much less stressful that way. :)

6. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    How are you going to "work" you eggs in "lockdown" when you got eggs due every couple days?

7. batchhatchin

Oct 28, 2014
    North central Texas
    I in an out of the house all day an should have no trouble to check on them every couple hrs at the least

8. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    What does "lock down" mean to you? Thanks

9. batchhatchin

Oct 28, 2014
    North central Texas
    Day 18 or at the first they start to peep then I'll play it by ear. I've got a professional poultry raiser that is a good friend of mine. We are on the phone At least twice a day. He will walk me thru it

10. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    On day 18 when you stop turning the eggs Most increase the moisture and Lock-Down till they hatch which usually takes 3 to 4 days. In my area as well as alot of other area's if you open the incubator a time ot two for just a few seconds during the lock-Down time it can cause a big decrease in the % of eggs that hatch. If you got eggs that are set every 2 days apart and need to put them in a hatcher----for "ME" that would mean "I" got to have another incubator(besides the first one I moved the first batch of eggs into)because "I" will Not open a incubator during the Lock-Down period. What I do is save my eggs and set them in the incubator every 7 days-----this gives me enough time to hatch the ones in the lock-down incubator, clean it and have it ready for the next batck of eggs. Have Fun and Good Luck on your future hatches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by