Candled egg at day 9?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kangasox, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Kangasox

Kangasox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    Another post from me, I'm such a worrier as a first (and maybe only!) Time incubator! Today is day 9, and we have 6 duck eggs with veining. I wanted to be sure these look right. The dark spot has veining and a little embryo, and I think the clear spot on the fat end is the air sac, but the clearish spot on the back side, will the duckling just fill that in as it grows? Look normal for a duck egg at this stage of development? Thanks!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Bradfordj

Bradfordj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    The clear spot on the fat end is the air sac and looks good. I don't see an air sac on the fat end though of picture two and think that the clear spot you are seeing is actually the air sac but in the wrong place. Is there veining all around the fat end? Were these shipped eggs that could have been bounced around?

1 person likes this.
  3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It's the way you are candling. When you lay the egg down on it's side, some of the light is passing through the air filled air cell allowing you to see it. When you candle from teh bottom up, everything is going to look different due to the difference in light refraction. What you are seeing in pic two is just the albumen, not air. The veining is great. I can't tell you duck developement as I am strictly chickly... at least in the hatching world...lol

When you candle, the best way to know what is going on and get a clear pic is to candle from the top (air cell end) down into the egg. Or from the top and just a little bit to the side so that it is on an angle.

Wish you luck on your hatch.

1 person likes this.
  4. Kangasox

Kangasox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    Candling from the top down was MUCH clearer, thanks @AmyLynn2374. They all look good except one the air sac doesn't seem to be where it needs to be or as clear to see, and 1 egg (that is a fair bit bigger than the others) has a bit of a bigger air sac. I am not a good personality to incubate. So much stress!

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    You're welcome. The air cells in the bigger eggs should look bigger, and probably next to something smaller might even look huge, but chances are they are a good size for the size of the egg. Right ratio. I have a couple Black Jap Bantams in my hatch this time and I have three or four rather large eggs. This is the first time I have true bantams in my hatch. It's funny cause the bantam's air cells look sooooo small, especially next to the biggest eggs...lol But they are proportioned. I had to lecture myself the other night and remind myself that if their air cells were as big as the standards that they would be nothing but air cells and to relax...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by