Candled Egg....freckled??

Tiegrsi

Songster
Jul 19, 2016
Burgaw, NC
Day 7 and I am candling for clears....but I have 2 eggs that have what I would call "freckles" when lit. Without the light, they look like plain colored eggs- they are not spotted. One is much worse than the other, I'm showing the one with the most spots here. It DOES look like there is some development in one, not in the other. What could cause this? I've had many hatches before, but never had an egg look like this when candled.

20180405_221408.jpg 20180405_221331.jpg

Looks like a more porous shell. As hens get older they can lay more porous eggs, or it can just be a hiccup in the process. It may lose water faster than the non porous ones.

Day 7 and I am candling for clears....but I have 2 eggs that have what I would call "freckles" when lit. Without the light, they look like plain colored eggs- they are not spotted. One is much worse than the other, I'm showing the one with the most spots here. It DOES look like there is some development in one, not in the other. What could cause this? I've had many hatches before, but never had an egg look like this when candled.

View attachment 1326752 View attachment 1326755
That is an excessively porous shell. It is less likely to hatch than an egg with a nicer shell, but, even so, it may hatch. I'd leave it in, but don't be surprised if it develops a blood ring, or just fails at the end. I have had them hatch, but do not usually set them unless I really need to try to get something from a particular breed.

That is an excessively porous shell. It is less likely to hatch than an egg with a nicer shell, but, even so, it may hatch. I'd leave it in, but don't be surprised if it develops a blood ring, or just fails at the end. I have had them hatch, but do not usually set them unless I really need to try to get something from a particular breed.

Thanks, both of you. I think I will take them both out; I'd rather not leave them in if they are not likely to hatch without issues. I have plenty more.

Back
Top Bottom