Candled Eggs~ 1st Time for Feb. 21 Hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CK Chickadilly, Feb 7, 2009.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Out of 29 eggs, I have 20 that have nice veining. 2 are questionable & the other 7 look to be duds...not fertile.

This is a test hatch to see what I get from my own chickens. I have some new layers & the boys are rather new to mating.

Should be interesting, they are all running together since it is winter yet. [​IMG]

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Did you take out the 7 or are you going to give them more time? And good luck keep us updated. [​IMG]

3. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I will leave the others in yet just to see if I missed something. Some of the veining was very slight so ya never know. [​IMG]

4. chicken_dude

chicken_dude Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    Yesterday I had malays shamos and asils hatching. I always prefer the larger incubators that hold lots of eggs. If the electricity goes out the more eggs the better. Takes longer for many eggs to lose their heat.

5. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    CK, 20 out of 29 sounds like the roos are getting the hang of it! Congrats!![​IMG]

6. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:How many does your incubator hold? (Edited to add)....congratulations on your hatch, how many did you get?

Yup, I think the boys are getting the hang of things. Now I will have to wait to see what I get......maybe a bunch of mutts but who cares! It could be some interesting crosses & pretty too! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  7. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Mutts can be very pretty birds I have seen ones that make me drool

8. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Cool... good luck on your hatch! I'm also due the 21. I have 11 blue turken eggs and 20 RIR eggs that all look good. Have fun!! I know I will!!

[​IMG]
    Chef

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm due the 20th and I'm afraid to candle.

Anyone else ever been afraid to candle?

Guess I go to Wally world or Radio Shack to see who can sell me the brightest light tomorrow.

10. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    I've got 23 of my own mutt eggs in due on the 22. I might luck out and get a pure silkie. My silkie roo is the only one I have seen cover my hen. He actually covers alot of the girls. The buttercup roo also has had some action. My Lakenvelder and mystery roo are pretty lonely. I candled about 12 last night and only 3 looked clear. I didn't check the delawares yet. too dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by