Candled eggs and have a question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by addicted2chicks, May 7, 2009.

1. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Actually I have 2 questions. I candled my eggs tonight and 1 I can't find an air sac and am thinking it is a dud but it is a darker egg so maybe I can't see things. But the other egg same color I can see so maybe I will wait a couple more days and decide then. Guess there was no question on that one but

my next question is one has veining but the air sac is on the side of the egg. Not sure how that happened, all eggs have been big end up since I got them. Is that egg ok or will it not be able to hatch?

2. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Hey , Not sure how much help I'll be, But I would just wait and see. Do you have a turner? Or are you turning by hand? If by hand are you sure the one with the airsac on the side is getting turned regulary? I have read that not turning them will cause this, and also that some folks have actually had these hatch. I know, not much help , right? consider it a bump if nothing else!

3. addicted2chicks

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Thanks giasmom. They are in a turner so not sure why the air sac is on the side.

4. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    I have one in the incubator that the air sac is running about 1/3 of the way down the side of the egg, and so far (day 5) it seems to be developing normaly. I hope that eases your mind a little.

5. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    How long have you had the eggs in the incubator??

6. addicted2chicks

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    The egg with the air sac on the side is developing. So if this egg makes it to day 18 and I take the turner out is there a certain way I should lay the egg or does it not matter?

We are on day 8 of incubation.

Last edited: May 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by