candled eggs and questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by seminolewind, Nov 8, 2007.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I candled my eggs this morning. 3 looked like there was nothing. I took them out and cracked them open. One was a perfect eating egg, nothing going on. One had a blood ring only. One looked like it had not enough growth. However, there was an embryo about a half inch long. It was not moving at all, and had blood in the egg. So, I have about 9 that are spunky, and 9 that are maybies and I put the maybies back because there are veins and an air pocket.

1. The embryo had no movement, and it had blood in the egg. Should I have seen some movement AFTER cracking the egg?

2. Can I candle every few days?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'm not sure if you would have seen movement depends on what day you are at candling.....And I would not candle more often then necessary....day 7, 14 and 18.....my opinion...opening the bator is not a good idea too often for your temps and humidty....

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  3. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, I agree. The more you open your bator and handle your eggs, the more you increase the chance of a poor hatch. I also candle on days 7, 14 and 18.

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    The non moving embryo with blood in the egg was 7 days old. Would I see movement after cracking the egg open?

5. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's possible, but more than likely the embryo was already dead.

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Thanks, I cracked the eggs open to make sure I was right. I candled them yesterday, and those 3 were iffy, so I had candled them today, and felt sure that they were nonviable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by