Candled eggs for last time this morning and was greeted with a peep

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by woman_in_shoe, Jun 25, 2010.

1. woman_in_shoe

woman_in_shoe Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    My kids and I built an incubator out of a styrofoam cooler and have been incubating 9 eggs for the past 18 days. We have seen developement in 7 eggs, not sure about 8 and 9 because the shells are to thick.
    Candled the eggs for the last time this morning before putting them into lockdown this evening and were greeted with a peep from egg # 5! Saw a tiny little head and beak peaking up and it looked like it might be starting to try to pip.
    Things is that we are packing up to head to the ocean this morning and had not expected this at all. Hoping that the drive over the mountains will not be a problem for the little guy. Keeping fingers crossed.

2. chickeepoo

chickeepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Any chance you have a plug-in adapter where the lighter used to be in cars? I have no idea how the car movement might affect them- do you have a trusted person who could house-sit/incubator-sit for you while you're gone? Or someone who you could leave the incubator with at their home to watch while you're out?

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    If you're just going for a day and you don't have an auto turner turning in the incubator, just let them chill out at home for the day. Chicks can stay in the incubator for a day (or even two, sometimes) before they need any attention. I wouldn't try taking them with you unless you're actually moving away to another place and won't be coming back.

4. funfeatheredfeet

funfeatheredfeet Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    The Beautiful Ozarks
    Just want to say congrats on the hatch....Yay!!!! [​IMG]
    and, I want to go to the ocean tooooo!!!

Hope you had fun!!! (I'm jealous!) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by