Candled my Bobwhite Eggs...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SamG347, Aug 5, 2008.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Candled the 10 Butler Bobwhite eggs I have in the bator from Charlie....10/10 are developing!! I knew after my past hatch of bobs from Charlie that I wouldnt need extra eggs to get the number of birds I wanted. His eggs are always extra fertile!
    They are set to hatch August 23/24!
    [​IMG]

2. injunjoe

injunjoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    Good luck on your hatch!
    Are these quail bigger then the other bob whites?
    And I would also like to buy some eggs from Charlie'
    Can you let me know how to get in touch with him?

3. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Yes these are Jumbo Bobwhite...You can just pm him....find his post in Other Poultry about his pheasant hatching out chicks.
    His username is
    Wildsofpa

[​IMG]

4. injunjoe

injunjoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    Thank you!

5. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Congrats Sam [​IMG]

That just makes me even more excited since i'm getting eggs from charlie this week [​IMG]

6. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Ok, where are you time wise in incubation that you candled these eggs Sam? I am learning here and need to do this with what I have in the turner right now. I have 50 bobs at 5 days and another 11 speckled at 7 days. Am I too early?

Sorry to jump in like this. Just still learning and obviously you know more than me! [​IMG]

7. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:It shouldn't be early.. i know when i incubate chicken eggs i do my first candle at day 3 you c an already see veins by then .... i no chickens and quails are different but when i was incubating my coturnix eggs from sam i candle at day 4 and saw veins [​IMG]

So you should be able to see veins by now

8. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    This is day 7 for these eggs. Also are you planning on mixing those different bob eggs Countrymom or keeping them seperate? Bobs dont do well when mixing different hatches.
    [​IMG]

9. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Thanks guys I will give candling a try at this point. I don't plan on mixing the breeds as I know they won't do well. I have my eggs marked and hatching bators set. We have two seperate sets of Bobs right now. One young batch and one breeding batch. I am busy working on cages - when it isn't raining! Thanks to TS Edouard. Seriously thanks we need it. Anyhow, I am in hopes to just have a few speckles for interest. The others we have are two different breeder's jumbo bobwhites.

10. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Sam sounds like the po was forgiving with your eggs for the most part..
    Good thing you didnt set them all (eggs)or you'd really have your hands full. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I wouldnt recommend doing any candling until at least 7-14 days.. we always wait till 11 days for chicken eggs and any wild eggs are done around 12-14 days~ but thats just are way of doing it... [​IMG]

Thanks
    charlie

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by