Candled my brown eggs but can't see anything?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tomfieldenloveshichickens, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Tomfieldenloveshichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    So I candled my 9 eggs tonight at day 4 but I couldn't see inside them! Is this normal and when might i see something developing?
    they are barnevelders an hybrids

Thanks
    Tom

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  2. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    What kind of light are you using? LED would be the best to go with.

3. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Tomfieldenloveshichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    I'm using a bright torch with a china flowerpot. It works pretty well but I'm thinking of not candling them anymore if it's not working.

4. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    I have dark brown shells...some very close to marans or barnvelders...I have a 144 lumen flashlight and cannot see into the eggs with it.

I candle and if I see a dark area that continues to look bigger then I figure we're good.

Hope it helps.

[​IMG]

5. Cranman

Cranman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    Sanford NC
    You may not be able to see much, but by day 10 you can surely see if it's developing or not. If nothing else the clears will light up brightly, while developing eggs will be much darker and clearly have "something" going on in there! I have had good luck cupping the eggs in my hand with the light underneath to trap all light and it helps to illuminate the egg. I have some light brown eggs and have seen the embryo swirling around in there!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's hard to see anything on Day 4 on brown eggs unless you have a super powered light. The conventional wisdom is that you do not candle until at least Day 7 and preferably, closer to Day 10.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by