Candled my eggs at 8 days.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Dogfish, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Hmmmmm.

Nothing developing after 8 days in 10 eggs. Same result with my 27 pheasant eggs. Temps have been steady, humidity steady. No signs of development whatsoever. The pheasant eggs were easier to candle than I thought.

2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    You should see something in the pheasants by now but it is better to wait to day 10-14 on turkey eggs. They won't look like a chicken egg does at 8 days because they develope slower. Did your eggs all come from the same source? Where they shipped?

3. mbnewby

mbnewby Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    what type of turkey

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I never candle my turkey eggs before ten days. Too hard to tell for sure if they're developing, clear, or failed. I'd give them a few more days.

5. Dogfish

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Eggs are from my own hens. Naragansetts. I left the eggs in there because I had heard of the 10 day deal. I just figured I could see something at 8 days. I'll give them a week or so, and then cull if necessary.

6. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    did you crack one open prior to setting to check if they were fertile? My beltsvilles are on day 12, but i could tell pretty good by 5 days in, I saw something at that point, but didnt remove anything till day 10. by this point i cant see as much as clearly as 8-10 days, but when you hold the egg still you'll see the chick kicking and moving in there.
    Hopefully you have something in there. Do you have multiple thermometers? are they on target?
    Sib

7. Thomasturkey

Thomasturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    I can also see a embryo and veining at 4 to 5 days easy. I guess my $2 mag flashlight is more powerful than what most of you have.

8. Dogfish

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    I candled again tonight. 7 out of 10 are good for sure! Those guys were swimming like pros. What a difference 2 days makes.

Still have no joy on pheasants. We'll have to see about that.

100 lumen light here. Nothing I can't see, if it is moving.

9. Dogfish

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Recandled tonight. 10 for 10! I'm done candling, and my next hen started laying! Just one more to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by