Candled my guineas...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SterlingAcres, Aug 10, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Well... I'm having a rough run on shipped eggs lately, let me tell ya. I should have guineas due any day now, but I've candled them and they're completely empty. Might as well chuck them. I don't have high hopes for these duck eggs either, I'm almost certain there's loose air cells, but I don't want to move them around too much since they're only a day or two into incubation...

However...

I candled the next dozen guineas I have in there. We're on Day 9 and I have 6 definite bouncing babies [​IMG]
    The image is cruddy, but I hope you can make out the black dot baby keet! I'm so excited! I really really hope they all hatch!

[​IMG]

2. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad to hear you have some growing! I just candled my chicks hatching next weekend and my turkeys on day 8 and I lost 1 chick only but lost 7 out of 8 turkeys :| The turkeys were shipped, feelin' your frustration.

Now, I'll have a lonely turkey.

Some more turkey eggs are due a week after that... but they are also shipped... hopefully at least 1 more will grow & hatch.

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I see the black dot. Good luck with them.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I see it! Glad that you have some developing this time around. I know how discouraging that can be. Been there done that! I'll cross my fingers for your ducks too. [​IMG]

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Thanks guys. I know it's gotta be the shipping that's throwing me off. I've never had such horrible hatch rates from my grandfather's birds... EVER. I have new instruments, so I don't even think that's it anymore. I'm really bummed, because all these eggs were packaged excellent from trustworthy people... and they quit, were scrambled, never developed or died right before hatching... talk about frustrating. [​IMG]

Now I've got to find someone close by with EE eggs, so shipping doesn't kill them completely!! I *need* more than 3 colored egg layers [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by