1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Candled on 4th day today ... Any thoughts / opinions if I saw no veins ? :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chanelle, Mar 22, 2012.

1. chanelle

chanelle Out Of The Brooder

Sigh...... [​IMG] I know it was early but I was having a high levels of anxiety.... My eggs are 8 coronation hatching eggs sent by mail and they are a med brown in color.
    I could not see ANYTHING... Is there still hope? Did I look too early? [​IMG] I have checked eggs before ... they looked veiny and hatched just not this soon... hmmm sigh tap tap tap any thoughts ? NEW EGG

2. ChickenPrnces

ChickenPrnces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    My girls lay medium to dark brown eggs! I never even bother candling that early because I get stressed about not seeing anything too! When I first started I did and though oe was no good and I managed to kill a viable egg! I generally do not discount a brown egg until the 18th day! Just me!

3. chanelle

That is such a RAY OF HOPE.... WOW I feel much better now Thanks for that [​IMG]

4. foxyk91

foxyk91 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Groton, NY
    I am on day 4 as well with incubating my first eggs ever. Some of my lighter shelled eggs I could see veins but on the darker shelled eggs I couln't see anything [​IMG] I will try candling them again on day 7 to see if I can see anything at that point. Let me know when you candle again & what you see [​IMG] Good luck!

5. chanelle

Absolutely [​IMG] OHH and Thanks !

6. foxyk91

foxyk91 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Groton, NY
    I candled my 15 brahma eggs tonight and 4 weren't fertile..so now I will hopefully get 11 to hatch on easter Sun. [​IMG] This is my first time ever trying to hatch eggs so I have my fingers crossed [​IMG] Have you candled your eggs yet?

7. chanelle

That is awesome [​IMG] However funny that I just received your email.... I had just candled mine at midnight... I am not having much luck I spent alot on 2 auctions close to $80 I dunno if I am having any luck with not one.. pretty bummed.. sigh I will wait to toss... Last year I did have some success with a few eggs. I will keep you posted! I have two incubators the new 6000 reptipro with 2 egg turners and a hovabator for lockdown ..

8. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I wouldn't toss any out that early. Wait til day 10 and candle again. :)

9. chanelle

Yippee I have for sure 8 chicks going to hatch! Glad I did not throw out !!!!

10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    It's a little early yet. For any but the lightest colored shells it's best to wait until seven to ten days to have the best chance of seeing something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by