Candled Some of the Shipped Eggs Today...

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I was going to wait till Saturday, Day 9, to candle all of them, and I am still going to wait till then for the Welsummers and the Buff Orpingtons Julie sent as extras, but I decided to candle them in stages since the Hovabator turner is full and I hate to keep it open that long; just makes it harder to recover temp and humidity.
I did candle the dozen Rhode Isl Reds as well as the one from Julie's Splash Orp pen plus the six Blue/Black Ameraucanas sent by HenHaven from California. I'm very happy to report that only one of the Rhode Isl Red eggs seems to have a blood ring-all other eggs I candled are growing perfectly! Not too shabby for shipped eggs, huh? I'm going to re-candle that RIR egg when I candle the rest of those eggs this weekend. All fourteen eggs in the Fridge-a-Bator were growing fine on Day five, including one Welsummer egg that was in there because it was an extra that wouldn't fit in the turner of the Hova. If all continues to progress this way, this will be a good hatch.

You aren't kidding.
hmm.png

Farmer Kitty wrote:
You're going to have your hands full of chicks when all those hatch!
Speckledhen wrote:
You aren't kidding.

Yeah, but is sure is fun! Unless, you are not prepared for them like I did. I got 100 chicks in 4 different shipments and was not prepared. Wow! I am just now catching up to them. I've been building brooders, nursary pens, coops, etc. almost day and night. It's been a lot of hard work but fun too.
Gosh, sounds like the candling went real good. Wishing you nothing short of the very best with your hatch. Real anxious for you when the time comes.​

Thank you, Roger. I may be pulling my hair out this weekend trying to candle Welsummer eggs, though. The rest of my eggs should arrive tomorrow from Jody-should have been here today, but we all know how that goes, LOL. My brooder is ready, but that brooder has never held more than 25 chicks at a time and even then, they had to get out of there by three weeks old. If only half of these hatched, I'll have at least 35 or 40! They'll be going out to the nursery coop much sooner than any of the previous batches ever have, but at least it will be May by the time they're two weeks old. I doubt they'll be able to last two weeks in a brooder that's 3' long x 2' wide x 1.5' tall. Well, I forgot that a few of the eggs contain Blue Orps for KingsCalls, so he'll be by the weekend after they hatch to take them home with him.

Last edited:
I see where you said, "I did candle the dozen Rhode Isl Reds". Can you tell me what you used to candle them. My light would not go through the shell. Thanks.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom