Candled Today

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ssbs, Jun 28, 2010.

1. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Okay, I'm sorry for posting so many threads.. But as y'all can tell I'm a newbie.

My eggs were shipped to me on Wendesday and arrived on Friday.. I figured it wouldn't hurt anything to go ahead and candle them, I know most don't even attempt it with coturnix eggs but why not try?.. I could see veins in about half of my 24 eggs.

It was exciting to see them, but now I am wondering. Does that mean the ones that I couldn't see veins on are no good? I noticed that the light didn't shine as well in most of them.. Could if just be too soon to tell? Since they were just set on Friday?

Thanks!!

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Yup, way too soon to tell much of anything. If you want to candle them again, I'd say at around the halfway point, whatever that is for this species (8 days, maybe).

3. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Thanks!! I figured it might just be too soon to tell with the others.. I was kinda worried since this was my first time incubating any eggs, and my bator is homemade. But it looks good so far [​IMG]

4. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    At about day 12, you can float test them to know EXACTLY who's going to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by