1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Candled !!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OHbluecoop, Apr 4, 2008.

1. OHbluecoop

OHbluecoop Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2007
    Wauseon Ohio
    [​IMG] I candled 17 welsummer eggs from mother goose and thought 1 was not fertile - my DS broke it open and the chick was alive [​IMG] [​IMG] I thought we were both going to die! From now on we will just put a question mark and put it back in!!!!! This is day 14 and the rest are all moving and veins [​IMG] 92 caddy - 3 of the 4 goose eggs have veins and moving too [​IMG] I left the 4th one in just in case - especially after the welsummer egg [​IMG]

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Wow, sounds like everything is going great. Are these your own eggs?

3. OHbluecoop

Dec 19, 2007
    Wauseon Ohio
    No I got the welsummer eggs set from Mother Goose, and only 1 came broken and she sent 6 extras [​IMG] The goose eggs came from 92caddy when I dropped off a pair of LaFleches we sold to him. The people on BYC that I have been in contact with have been great [​IMG]

4. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey - OHbluecoop - what do you use to candle those DARK Welsummer eggs?

TIA-
    Em

5. OHbluecoop

Dec 19, 2007
    Wauseon Ohio
    We have an older slide projector-one that had a tray on top- the bulbs are super bright- they work fantastic! As you can see from above the dark welsummer eggs are hard to see, plus this is only our second shot at incubating, so we're still learning. I got the idea here on BYC [​IMG] My DH thinks I spend too much time on here

6. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    no you can never spend to much time on byc i check the forums every chance i get!!!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I always use a slide projector to candle! They are fabulous.

8. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I'm going to have to get me one. Ebay, I'm guessing, would have them? My "Surprize Pullets" are mostly Welsummers, so now all I need is an unrelated male....

So, yeah, eventually I'll be candling Welsummers LOL.

My DH thinks I spend too much time on here

My husband always finds me at the computer when he gets home from work. He works 3-11, and once the kids are to bed, I finally get some time to myself. He always lays down on the bed and wants to know what "chicken drama" happened on BYC today. [​IMG]

Em​

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My current hatch includes 16 Welsummers, currently ending Day 2. Since I have to wait a bit longer to candle these, it's going to be a loooooong incubation, LOL.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  10. OHbluecoop

Dec 19, 2007
    Wauseon Ohio
    My goose eggs are on day 22 today, and Welsummer eggs on day 19- I candled the 4th goose egg( that I thought was not alive on Monday 4/7 and there were veins and movement [​IMG] I am so glad I did not pitch that egg [​IMG] I am so excited I can hardly wait [​IMG]
    I would think you could find projectors cheap or at an estate auction- everyone uses power point not slides anymore- I am so glad I didnt get rid of ours- Justifies my junk collecting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by