candleing eggs, frustrated.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mustangsaguaro, Feb 11, 2008.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Well, Lisa and I candled a bunch of eggs today as we build our own candler and were curious. We candled eggs that went in the bator last Wed. and Thur. We are a little disappointed in some of the eggs. It was kind of hard to see anything in some of the eggs as they are soooo dark (Ameraucana eggs and a few Cochins eggs). In a few of the Ameraucana eggs we thought we saw some veining but very hard to tell. Then we candled maybe 4 of her cochin eggs, and I think 2 or 3 were questionable. We have a 2nd incubator that has what we think 5 little Ameraucana banty eggs in them. With those 5 eggs we could definately see veining in a couple of them, and some were questionable. I was wondering is it possible in the smaller eggs we were able to see the veining better because the area it covers is smaller? We were going to candle again this Thur. (that's when we were originally going to candle), but have decided to wait till Sat. Hoping we might see more stuff on Sat. vs. Thur.

In a few of the eggs while we were candling we noticed when we moved the egg that the stuff inside the egg moved. Is that an indication of a bad egg or is that suppose to happen.

Thanks
    Kim

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You really should hold off candling until day 7 at the earliest. The embryos are easy to disturb if you mess to much with the eggs before then. Plus a lot of times you can't see much before day 7 anyway.

3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:I agree, it's probably too early to see anything. Wait until day 10 and candle. [​IMG]

4. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Thanks guys, that makes me feel a little better. I am sure Lisa will be glad to hear that too. I hate this sit and wait game. It's nerve wracking [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]. However, like I said in a few of the eggs we did see veining. So crossing my fingers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by