Candleing questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hippychic, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Hippychic

Hippychic New Egg

Jan 1, 2010
    Tecumseh, Michigan
    Hi there, we are new here, I did a search but haven't found a definite answer. I was told to candle our eggs before selling them to make sure they were safe. I found information on the web that stated if there were spots or speckles that could mean bacteria inside the egg. I'm not worried about fertilization, we collect everyday, sometimes twice a day so they aren't getting set on. When I checked the eggs I have on hand I found that most of the brown eggs had speckles all over them. Some of the white ones did too. My questions are: Should I not use these eggs (either sell or eat?)? and if I should not use them, what is the best way to dispose of them? Our chickens just started laying at Thanksgiving and we are getting between 6 and 8 per day. Thank you for your advise.

Jenni

2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Fertilization isn't when they are being set on...its after a roo and hen breed...and the speckles on the eggs are normal..some chickens lay eggs with speckles...brown and white...

3. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Wow, I have never candled them before selling or giving away. I just collect, clean if needed and off they go. If you are collecting everyday, don't worry they are fine.
    If you really have to check, do the water test. If they sink they are good. If they float, out they go.

4. Hippychic

Hippychic New Egg

Jan 1, 2010
    Tecumseh, Michigan
    Thanks Mary, but the speckles are inside. You can't see any of this from looking at the eggs, but when candled, they look like they have white speckles all over the inside, is that normal? There were several websites that had photos of eggs like these and it said they were not good, it could be bacteria. Most of them when candled were clear and beautiful. I'm going to see if I can get a picture of one and download it (upload it?). I'll have to get the kids to help me with that!!

5. chickenlittle32

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    That sounds like a blood spot...and actually that means it is fresh....

6. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    And do you see any blood spots or anything out of the ordinary when you crack open the eggs with these "speckles"?

7. chickenlittle32

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Quote:Ok, sorry...I reread this...you are seeing these speckles when you candle? If so, that could just mean that the egg is porous...

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think the "white speckles" are just the pores in the eggs. Some birds lay more porous eggs than others. Really, if there are no cracks, they are just fine to eat. If there are cracks, eat it sooner!

9. Hippychic

Hippychic New Egg

Jan 1, 2010
    Tecumseh, Michigan
    I am going to try and post some pictures we took today to show what we mean by the speckles and the differences we are questioning.

This should be a picture of a white egg with speckles in it
    [​IMG]

This should be a picture of a white egg that showed clear
    [​IMG]

This should be a picture of a brown egg with speckles in it
    [​IMG]

This should be a picture of a brown egg that showed clear
    [​IMG]

We have been eating them and they have been just fine. I have noticed in a few that there were very small clumpies by the yolks but that doesn't bother us. I am more worried about customers and providing a quality product.

Thanks again for your help, we really appreciate it !![​IMG]
    Virginia

10. chickenlittle32

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Hippy...yes, those are just porous eggs.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by