Candleing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by enochabell, Jun 7, 2011.

1. enochabell

enochabell Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    How many times should I candle my eggs they are 8 days old now and i've done it once
    but I really feel i need to do it again. Will it hurt them if I handle them again?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Angela

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    When I first started hatching I was candling almost daily. I thought it was neat to see how the chicks progress. I took a lot of pictures and videos. Now I candle once in awhile. I recently set some pheasant eggs so will candle as this is my first attempt with pheasants.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I candle on day 10, when it is clear which ones quit, and then again at lockdown.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree...

5. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    You can candle everyday until lockdown if you wish. It won't hurt the eggs.

But, once you incubate a few times, you usually get to the point of candling

once or twice, and it's not as exiteing anymore [​IMG]

6. LilMissPetie

LilMissPetie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Michigan
    I candled almost everyday.

7. lutz123

lutz123 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am new to hatching and don't candle until lockdown. If there is any question at all in my mind I keep it anyway so there is no point. I candled more often my first attempt and didn't have a single one hatch. This time has been much, much better and I didn't open it at all until lockdown.

I'm sure I'll have some experience down the road that may encourage me to do it sooner (like an exploding egg?), but until then, I'm happy leaving them alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by